This year's Million Writers Award is off to a great start, with reader and editor nominations already rolling in. Thanks to everyone who has already nominated a story and/or donated toward the award's prize money. We literally couldn't do this without you!
This is the 9th year I've run the award and during that time I've read a ton of great online short stories. I've long wished someone would publish an anthology of MWA stories so I could showcase the amazing vitality of online authors and fiction.
Well, guess what — wishes do come true! I'm please to announce the release of two MWA anthologies, which will be published on June 14 by Spotlight Publishing. The first, Million Writers Award: The Best Online Science Fiction and Fantasy, focuses on SF/F stories, while the second anthology, Million Writers Award: The Best New Online Voices, highlights non-genre stories. All of the stories in these anthologies either won the Million Writers Award, were in the top ten stories of the year, or were selected as notable stories by our judges.
In making my selections I picked those stories which remained burned in my brain long after I read them. Some of these authors have been published in print magazines and books; others are only known for being published online. But all of them are reshaping the world of short fiction. Read these groundbreaking short stories and you’ll understand why online magazines and journals are the place to find today’s most vital and challenging stories.
Pre-Order Special — free ebook offer!
If you pre-order one or both anthologies from Spotlight Publishing before June 14 you'll receive special pricing on print editions and ebooks (and please note these ebooks are DRM-free). The regular price for each anthology is $15.95 + S&H. However...
- If you pre-order the cost for one anthology is only $13.95 + S&H (1.99).
- If you pre-order one copy of both anthologies the cost is only $23.95 + S&H (1.99)
- Only want the ebook? The regular price is $4.95 but the pre-order price is $3.95 for one copy or both anthologies for only $6.95.
In addition, if you use the following Million Writers Award codes when purchasing print copies of the anthologies you'll receive a free ebook. To do this, enter the following codes on the check-out page that says 'Order Summary' and 'Review Your Information.' At that time click on the link that says "Add special instructions to the seller." In the box that pops up, simply add the code you desire.
- MWA-SF-MOBI — Code for the mobi version of the Best of SF&F ebook.
- MWA-SF-EPUB — Code for the epub version of the Best of SF&F ebook.
- MWA-VOICES-MOBI — Code for the mobi version of the Best New Online Voices ebook.
- MWA-VOICES-EPUB — Code for the epub version of the Best New Online Voices ebook.
- MWA-BOTH-MOBI — Code for the mobi version of both ebooks. Note: to receive both ebooks you must order both print editions.
- MWA-BOTH-EPUB — Code for the epub version of both ebooks. Note: to receive both ebooks you must order both print editions.
Ebooks will be emailed to the address associated with their order/payment info at the same time the print editions are mailed out (i.e., June 14).
Table of Contents
- Non-Zero Probabilities - by N. K. Jemisin
- The Faithful Soldier, Prompted - by Saladin Ahmed
- Arvies - by Adam-Troy Castro
- There’s a Hole in the City - by Richard Bowes
- Horus Ascending - by Aliette de Bodard
- Blue Ink - by Yoon Ha Lee
- Eros, Philia, Agape - by Rachel Swirsky
- A Song to Greet the Sun - by Alaya Dawn Johnson
- Time to Say Goodnight - by Caroline M. Yoachim
- The Fisherman’s Wife - by Jenny Williams
- Intertropical Convergence Zone - by Nadia Bulkin
- Urchins, While Swimming - by Catherynne M. Valente
- The Shangri-La Affair - by Lavie Tidhar
- Elegy for a Young Elk - by Hannu Rajaniemi
- Friday Afternoons on Bus Number 51 - by Sruthi Thekkiam
- The Incorrupt Body of Carlo Busso - by Eric Maroney
- The Mountain’s Laughter is a Landslide in the Seed Moon’s Light - by J. M. Scoville
- Hospitality - by Summer Block
- I Am My Rooster - by Taylur Thu Hien Ngo
- Do You Have a Place For Me - by Roxane Gay
- Cancer Party - by Nicola Mason
- Interview With A Moron - by Elizabeth Stuckey-French
- Grief Mongers - by Sefi Atta
- Alex Trebek Never Eats Fried Chicken - by Matt Bell
- The Infinite Monkey Theorem - by Marshall Moore
- Sandwiches From Home - by Jessica Schneider
- The Black Tongue - by Anjana Basu
- The Rules of Urban Living - by Kara Janeczko
- Madame Sabat’s Grave - by Corey Mesler
- The Boy With the Hole In His Head - by Gokul Rajaram
- Vertically Divided, Blue-White-Red - by Mark MacNamara
- Ditch - by Eric Beetner
- You Are a 14-Year-Old Arab Chick Who Just Moved to Texas - by Randa Jarrar