Here are some of the awards and honors I've received for my writing:
- Winner of the 2008 and 2009 Interzone Readers' Polls. Co-winner of the 2010 Readers' Poll.
- Finalist for the 2009 Nebula Award for Best Novella.
- Story reprinted in Year's Best SF 14, edited by David G. Hartwell and Kathryn Cramer.
- Story nominated for the 2009 British Fantasy Award.
- Two stories nominated for the 2008 BSFA Award for Best Short Fiction.
- Multiple honorable mentions in the 25th, 26th, 27th and 28th annual collections of The Year's Best Science Fiction Stories, edited by Gardner Dozois.
- Winner of a 2002 Minnesota State Arts Board Fellowship.
- 2003 Gold Award for Communications Crafts, Writing, from University of Minnesota Communicators Forum.
- Winner of the 2005 Fiction Warehouse Hypnologic Experiment writing contest
- Winner of the Magnificent Magnolia 2003 essay contest
- Jury selection in the Walker Art Center's 5 Minutes of Fame, December 2002
- Winner of a 1997-98 Loft Mentor Series Award for Fiction.
- Finalist for a SASE/Jerome Award.
- Finalist at the 2001 Op-Ed Slam, sponsored by the National Writers Union.
- Three-time judge of the Minnesota Book Awards, including judge of the 2003 fiction category.
Below is a sampling of the media coverage about my work. Reviews of my fiction are on this page.
- Nebula Award 2010 Interview with Jason Sanford.
SFWA's Nebula Award website
- An interview with Jason Sanford by John Coyne
November 2007 issue of Peace Corps Writers
- Short interview by Emma Larkins, Emerging Emma blog, August 29, 2008
- Million Writers Award coverage, LA Times Jacket Copy by Carolyn Kellogg, April 23, 2009
- From the blogs column by Sarah Crown, The Guardian newspaper, England, July 7, 2007
(This was coverage of both my essay "Dipping Their Toes in the Genre Pool: The U.S. Literary Establishment's Need-Hate Relationship with Speculative Fiction" from The New York Review of Science Fiction, and Matthew Cheney's reaction to the essay in "The Shibboleth of "The Literary Establishment").
- "The Million Writers Award: raising the profile of online literary journals" by Simon Owens, Bloggasm, July 11th, 2007
- "Personal Views: Jason Sanford" by Mary Cox
2005 Novel and Short Story Writers Market
(Note: This is a six-page feature interview on online publishing and literature.)
- "Rank and Slush Pile: Is There a Literary Hierarchy" by Timothy Schaffert
Poets & Writers Magazine, May/June 2009
(Note: Quoted at the end of the article, which stirred a minor bit of controversy.)
- "Introduction to Online Markets"
2007 Novel and Short Story Writers Market
(Note: quoted about online markets and storySouth.)
- Short profile in Auburn Magazine, Spring 2006