Million Writers Award: The Best Online Science Fiction and Fantasy edited by Jason Sanford
Note: The small press publisher of the print edition of this anthology went out of business. Used copies, though, are still available online.
For nearly a decade the Million Writers Award has honored the best fiction published in online magazines and journals. Now collected for the first time are the most excitingscience fiction and fantasy voices recognized by this award. Read these groundbreaking short stories and you’ll understand why online magazines and journals are the place to find today’s most vital and challenging stories.
Table of Contents
- Non-Zero Probabilities - by N. K. Jemisin
- The Faithful Soldier, Prompted - by Saladin Ahmed
- Arvies - by Adam-Troy Castro
- There’s a Hole in the City - by Richard Bowes
- Horus Ascending - by Aliette de Bodard
- Blue Ink - by Yoon Ha Lee
- Eros, Philia, Agape - by Rachel Swirsky
- A Song to Greet the Sun - by Alaya Dawn Johnson
- Time to Say Goodnight - by Caroline M. Yoachim
- The Fisherman’s Wife - by Jenny Williams
- Intertropical Convergence Zone - by Nadia Bulkin
- Urchins, While Swimming - by Catherynne M. Valente
- The Shangri-La Affair - by Lavie Tidhar
- Elegy for a Young Elk - by Hannu Rajaniemi
Publisher's Weekly Starred Review: "Sanford, editor of the online literary journal storySouth, assembles a remarkable collection of science fiction and fantasy works, all originally published online and heralded in storySouth’s annual Million Writers Award contest (some are winners, others finalists and notables). Many of these stories have earned other awards and nominations, and they prove that online journals and magazines deserve readers’ respect and attention."
Jamie Todd Rubin, Orson Scott Card's InterGalactic Medicine Show: "We are living in a golden age of short science fiction and fantasy. Having read and written a great deal about classical Golden Age science fiction, having done a pretty good job keeping up with most of the short fiction markets today, I feel I can make this statement with some authority. If further evidence is required, however, I point to Jason Sanford's recent anthology,Million Writers Award: The Best Online Science Fiction and Fantasy."